EU Legislation and Materials
Rome I Regulation on the law applicable to contractual obligations
- Most recent version
- Legislative History:
Rome II Regulation on the law applicable to non-contractual obligations
- Final Text: Regulation (EC) No 864/2007 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11 July 2007 on the law applicable to non-contractual obligations (pdf)
- Legislative History:
Rome III Regulation on the law applicable in matrimonial matters
- Draft Report
- Working Document on the law applicable in matrimonial matters
- Draft Opinion
- Proposal for a Council Regulation amending Regulation (EC) No 2201/2003 as regards jurisdiction and introducing rules concerning applicable law in matrimonial matters (pdf)
- Proposal for a Council Regulation as regards jurisdiction and introducing rules concerning applicable law in matrimonial matters
- Green Paper - Conflict of Laws in Matrimonial Property Regimes
Succession and Wills
- Proposal for a Council Regulation on jurisdiction, applicable law, recognition and enforcement of decisions and cooperation in matters relating to maintenance obligations
- Mathias Reimann, Conflict of Laws in Western Europe: A Guide Through the Jungle (Transnational Publishers) (1995).
- Peter Stone, EU Private International Law: Harmonization of Laws (Edward Elgar Publishing) (2006).
Tort Law Literature
- Symeon C Symeonides, Rome II and Tort Conflicts: A Missed Opportunity
- Patrick Borchers, The Proposed “Rome II” Regulation and the U.S. Experience in Tort Choice of Law (doc)
- Jan Kropholler & Jan von Hein, From Approach to Rule-Orientation in American Tort Conflicts, in Law and Justice in a Multi-state World: Essays in Honor of Arthur T. von Mehren 317 (2002).
- Comments on the European Commission's Proposal for a Regulation of the European Parliament and the Council on the law applicable to contractual obligations (Rome I), 71 Rabels Zeitschrift fuer auslaendisches und internationales Privatrecht 225 (2007).
Contract Law Literature
- Mathias Reimann, Savigny's Triumph? Choice of Law in Contracts Cases at the Close of the Twentieth Century, 39 Va. J. Int'l L. 571 (1999).
- Comments on the European Commission's Green Paper on the conversion of the Rome Convention of 1980 on the law applicable to contractual obligations into a Community instrument and its modernization, 68 Rabels Zeitschrift fuer auslaendisches und internationales Privatrecht 1-118 (2004).
- Angelette, note European Corporate Choice of Law, (as overview article)
- Jens Dammann, A New Approach to Corporate Choice of Law, 38 Vand. J. Transnat'l L. 51-107 (2005).
Family Law Literature
- International Family Law for the European Union (Meeusen et al. eds., 2007).
Methods and Approaches Literature
- Ralf Michaels, EU Law as Private International Law? (pdf), J. Private Int'l L., draft.
Federalization of Choice of Law Literature
- Holger Spamann, Choice of Law in a Federal System and an Internal Market
Choice of Law as an Instrument of Market Regulation Literature
- Horatia Muir Watt, Choice of Law in Integrated and Interconnected Markets
- Jürgen Basedow, European private international law of obligations and internal market legislation – a matter of coordination, in Liber memorialis Petar Šarčević: Universalism, tradition and the individual 13 (2006).