The Children's Law Clinic provides legal advice and representation in the following areas:
- The identification of children with disabilities who need special education
- The evaluation and testing of special needs children, including the right of the parents to an independent evaluation
- Individualized Education Program (IEP) meetings, concerning services and placement for children with special needs
- Due process hearings and state complaints to resolve disputes with the school system regarding special education services
- Appeals of school suspensions or expulsions
- "Manifestation determination" meetings, to review the discipline imposed on a child with special needs and/or in need of special education
Supplemental Security Income
- Appeals of denials of SSI benefits for children, either on grounds of disability or income and resources
- Overpayment issues
- Miscellaneous matters related to the health & well-being of a child
- School enrollment
- Government benefits for children with disabilities
The clinic does not handle the following cases: abuse and neglect, juvenile delinquency or other criminal matters, housing, family law, personal injury.
Service Area: The clinic offers its services to low-income clients who live in the following counties: Alamance, Caswell, Chatham, Durham, Granville, Franklin, Orange, Person, Vance, Wake, and Warren.