This fall-only course is designed to provide students, particularly those with no background in the topic, with an overview of the American legal architecture for its security enterprise. The class will also examine related issues that arise "in the news." It is aimed not only at students considering a career in government or the military, but also for those headed to private practice who appreciate that the U.S.’s $719 billion defense budget, along with $1.7 trillion in defense outlays worldwide impacts virtually all potential clients.
The course analyzes the Constitutional structure governing national security matters, and the role played by the three branches of government (with special emphasis on Presidential power). It will also examine governmental surveillance, the investigation and prosecution of national security cases, as well as First Amendment issues related to national security. In addition, domestic security issues (to include the domestic use of the armed forces), security-based travel restrictions, the role of the Centers for Disease Control, the military justice system, civil-military relations, and the impact of national security issues on business transactions will be reviewed.
There is no examination for this course, but a 30-page research paper (constituting 65% of the grade) is required on a topic chosen by the student and approved by the instructor. With instructor approval, the course paper may fulfill the Substantial Research and Writing Project or other writing requirements. The remainder of the grade (35%) is based on the quality and frequency of class participation, and may require short, written products.
LAW 120 CONSTITUTIONAL LAW is recommended, but not required, as a prerequisite for one-year LLM students.
|Course Number||Course Credits||Evaluation Method||Instructor||Meeting Day/Times||Room|
Research paper, 25+ pages
|Charles J. Dunlap, Jr., Shane Stansbury|
|Sakai site: https://sakai.duke.edu/portal/site/LAW.582.01.F19|
|Email list: LAW.582.01.F19@sakai.duke.edu|
|Course Areas of Practice|